The Unit Security is a unit within the directorate of transport of the Public Entity of St. Eustatius.
Where can you find the Unit Security?
You can meet Unit Security at the harbor and at the airport for security purposes. Besides that the unit also provides special security tasks, for instance during Covid-19 or during calamities.
Even though the security measures are not always visible for the naked eye the unit maintains the safety on our island.
Why is the Unit at the airport and at the harbor?
On the island we are blessed with an international Airport and an international harbor.
This basically means all ships and aircrafts from all over the world can dock or land on St. Eustatius which is a benefit for the economy.
The ports in Statia consists of an international harbor and an international airport. This means compliance to international rules, laws and regulation is required. If the Unit Security fails to comply, Statia would lose its certification for the harbor and airport.
One of the criteria of keeping certified is having the security on top level. Not only with regards to performance but also in terms of education.
For the harbor, Statia has to comply to the ISPS Code (International Ship and Port Facility Security code. For the airport the ICAO regulation (International Civil Aviation Organization) is applicable.
Did you know that:
- Every security officer has to be educated in security civil aviation
- Every security officer has to be educated in maritime security
- Every security officer has to be educated and certified in VHF radio procedures.
- Every security officer has to be educated and certified on the use of x-ray scanning machines.
- Every security officer has to be educated and certified on the use of detection equipment.
- Every security officer has to be educated and trained in searching for IED (improvised explosive devices)
- Every security officer has to be educated and trained in patrolling / observing and reporting.
- Every security officer has to be educated on first response in case of calamities.
- Every security officer has to be educated and certified on first basic medical response. (EHBO and AED)
- Every security officer has to be trained in working in hazardous circumstances as fires.
There is much more to the job than checking passes and luggage at the ports. Security and safety is the job of the Unit Security and they are proud to do it!
The team is there to serve all Statians and incoming passengers.
If there are any questions on security or safety related matters, feel invited to contact the Unit Security at +599 318-2890.