Recalled fabuloso cleaners not sold in Statia
~Manufacturer of the multi-purpose cleaner have recalled five scents due to a ‘risk of bacterial growth’~
ORANJESTAD, St. Eustatius (16 Feb. 2023) – The Public Health Department is reassuring Statians that the Fabuloso scents recalled by the manufacturer are not sold at supermarkets in Statia. At the same time, the department is advising Statians who shop abroad to be vigilant in order to avoid any potential health problems associated with the affected products.
Fabuloso, which is owned by Colgate-Palmolive, has recalled five scents of its multi-purpose cleaner because of a “risk of bacterial growth,” the company said.
The company said a preservative “was not added at the intended levels during manufacturing,” which resulted in the growth of Pseudomonas, a species of bacteria found widely in soil and water. People who are most at risk include those with weakened immune systems, external medical devices or underlying lung conditions, and the bacteria can enter the body if inhaled, through the eyes, or through a break in the skin, the Public Health Department said.
Fubuloso said last week 4.9 million bottles were manufactured between 14 December, 2022 and 23 January, 2023 and were sold at a variety of retailers, including the online store, Amazon. Around 3.9 million bottles were never released for sale, the company said.
The first eight digits of the lot code of the recalled products are 2348US78 through to 2365US78 and 3001US78 through to 3023US78. Products which state “Made in Mexico” on the back label are not included in the recall.
The Department of Health said a check with local supermarkets found none of the recalled scents. However, it said people who have bought similar products abroad should check to ensure they do not have any of the problematic scents.
“Our local shoppers have been reassured by the fact that the recalled scents are not found on our supermarket shelves, but we urge individuals who might have bought Fabuloso cleaners abroad to check to ensure they do not have any of the affected products,” said Carol Jack, Director of Social Domain. “If you have any of these scents, please follow the company’s advice – that is, stop using them immediately and dispose of it in its container.”
The following are the cleaners that have been recalled:
- Fabuloso Original Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Lavender Scent (22 fluid ounces)
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Lavender Scent (56 fluid ounces, 128 fluid ounces and 169 fluid ounces)
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Lavender Scent (210 fluid ounces)
- Fabuloso Professional All Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser, Lavender Scent (1 gallon)
Refreshing Lemon Scent
- Fabuloso Original Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Refreshing Lemon Scent (22 fluid ounces)
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Refreshing Lemon Scent (33.8 fluid ounces, 56 fluid ounces, 128 fluid ounces and 169 fluid ounces)
Passion of Fruits Scent
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Passion of Fruits Scent (33.8 fluid ounces, 56 fluid ounces, 128 fluid ounces, 169 fluid ounces)
Spring Fresh Scent
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner Bleach Alternative 2X Concentrated Formula, Spring Fresh Scent (56 fluid ounces)
- Fabuloso Professional All Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser, Ocean Scent (1 gallon)